1. Philosophy is evidently respected
2. Philosophy is secretly despised
3. Both (a) and (b)
4. Neither (a) nor (b)
Both (a) and (b)
1. That it is obsolete
2. That it is mendacious
3. That it is the handmaiden of political
4. That it is immoral
That it is immoral
1. It shows the way to man's dignity in the face of his empirical existence.
2. It breaks through the shell of the world in order to move into the infinite.
3. It pushes into the furthest horizons beyond being in the world.
4. It makes the world a better place to live in.
It makes the world a better place to live in.
1. Masses would be easier to manipulate as they would not think for themselves.
2. They would not have to make false allegiances to ideologies.
3. They would not have to face allegations of ignoring philosophy.
4. They would not have to be philosophical about losing an election.
Masses would be easier to manipulate as they would not think for themselves.
1. wooden-faced people
3. separate chairs for philosophers
4. reserved seats for students of philosophy.
1. the fact that there are still chairs of philosophy in universities.
2. the defence measures it provokes.
3. the polite respect it gets.
4. the fact that it answers the fundamental questions of life.
the defence measures it provokes.